May 13, 2024, 14:56:43

Author Topic: Nexus, as it would have been...  (Read 7596 times)

Offline SoulAssassino

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • http://
Nexus, as it would have been...
« on: March 29, 2009, 19:04:39 »
I created this thread to have you guys know (If you don't already) that nexus started out as something much more then it became in the end.

If you know the games Imperium Galactica and Imperium Galactica 2, then you know what i'm talking about:)

Nexus was originally started out as Imperium Galactica 3 - Genesis. A mixture of tactical space combat, and strategy of huge proportions.

The original imperium galactica games looked liked this: (From Wikipedia)

Imperium Galactica II: Alliances is a PC game developed by Digital Reality, the sequel to Digital Reality's previous game, Imperium Galactica. Released in 2000, Imperium Galactica II features complete control over your empire at the onset of the game and therefore is more similar to other empire-building 4X games (eXpand, eXplore, eXploit, eXterminate) such as Master of Orion.
Gameplay – There are eight unique races involved in this game which almost all can be traded with or spied upon, a great number of buildings, ships and tanks which all can be customized with their own weaponry. The gameplay involves managing your colonies, expanding your empire, conquering enemy planets, researching, diplomacy with other races, spying, space battles, ground battles and more.
Real-time – Everything in the game happens realtime, even though you can pause the game and give out orders if you feel the need for it.
Multiplayer – The game supports multiplayer either by host or by IRC network. Every player can host their own game. The game uses port 5200 for incoming data and port 6667 for outgoing data (TCP protocol). Which means players need to enable port 5200 on their firewall to be able to host a game.
Skirmish mode – The game originally lacks a skirmish mode, but it was added with the 1.06 patch, and with the release of the 1.05 patch a mod was created to add this functionality.

So in the end, from the decision of the publisher, we only got the tactical aspect of this great game, but not the strategic part.

http://www.fileplanet.com/89817/80000/fileinfo/Imperium-Galactica-3:-Genesis-Demo

Here you can find a really early demo of Imperium Galactica 3, before the project became Nexus: The Jupiter Incident:)

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 22:59:38 »
As far as I remember, it wasn't even going to be an Imperium Galactica game at first. They (with "They" most likely being the publisher) just chose to use a "popular" name to attract the existing fanbase to this new game. What we now know as "Nexus - The Jupiter Incident" was never meant to be a true 4X game in the traditions of Imperium Galactica, Master of Orion, Ascendancy and the like. They focussed on the tactical battles first while the strategic aspects were rather limited and not even really freeform or "open-world" considering the story-driven approach they were going for. Think more "Star Wars - Empire at War" and less "Imperium Galactica".

But things didn't work out as planned, release dates were delayed and the Imperium Galactica license eventuelly expired. So the game was rebranded to the name of "Galaxy Andromeda", but that didn't went well either. The game's development was put on hold some months after that, the original developer went out of business and the future looked grim for all the fans still enjoying that early tech demo. Some months (or weeks?) later the project was picked up by newly established developer Mithis (consisting mainly of the original developers) and publisher HD Interactive. Since then its called "Nexus - The Jupiter Incident" and was released some day in 2004, after years of struggling and going through two name changes (at least).

Ahhh, these were the times... still have my signed copy of the game around here :)

Offline SoulAssassino

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • http://
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 00:18:22 »
I stand corrected:)

I just got lost in the dream of getting this tactical gameplay fused together with the strategic gameplay of IG2. :)

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 19:41:36 »
ah... perfection in it's true form. That would have been an incredible game...