March 29, 2024, 08:21:23

Author Topic: IDEs and custom language  (Read 9303 times)

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
IDEs and custom language
« on: November 12, 2015, 20:09:05 »
Hi! What IDEs are you currently using to script Nexus? Have you defined a custom language for those IDEs?

Are you willing to share it?
This post is one part census, one part shamelessly begging for a pretty script that highlights relevants parts in colors and stuff. I'm currently using Notepad++ with 'C' language on, but something with some expanded functionality in our beloved modding language will be welcomed.

Offline The Old Dragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: IDEs and custom language
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 23:24:17 »
Hi Mularac,

Like you, I use NP++, though I tend to set the language to C++ or Pascal.
Haven't really felt the need to tinker with the settings too much, I'm afraid.

Better to look the fool by asking, then prove them right with ignorance.

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 14:29:37 »
Drat. Some years ago (! time sure does fly) I've created a custom one... with collapsable rules and states... Now I'm too lazy to do it again.

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:50:56 »
Drat. Some years ago (! time sure does fly) I've created a custom one... with collapsable rules and states... Now I'm too lazy to do it again.

You can use mine, if u wish (see attachment). I, too, am using Notepad++ for all of my scripting. Would be really great to have a powerful IDE like Visual Studio with IntelliSense and stop and resume debugging capabilities, but I fear N++ is as good as it gets for Nexus scripting.

Regarding the attached XML: you can import it in Notepad++ under "Languages"->"Define your language"->"Import..."

You might have to change the colors to better fit your default color scheme. I'm using Notepad++'s "Ruby Blue" style with white text on a dark blue background and the syntax highlighting colors for my Nexus Script XML have been adjusted to nicely fit into that color scheme. If you're using black text on white background per default, you will probably have to change those text colors.

I probably also missed some keywords or operators, but so far it works fine for my typical use case.

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 13:14:25 »
Many Thanks! It works and is very helpful indeed.