March 19, 2024, 06:02:29

Author Topic: [GUIDE] Widescreen support  (Read 61343 times)

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
[GUIDE] Widescreen support
« on: December 12, 2009, 11:21:41 »
Custom widescreen resolution

After having bought a brand-new widescreen monitor, I wanted to check out Nexus in FullHD, of course. Sadly, the game is rather restrictive with its selectable resolutions, but there is a simple hack to allow custom resolutions. Nexus stores its display settings in the Windows registry, so open up regedit and navigate to one of the following registry keys, depending on your Windows version and UAC (User Account Control) settings:
(note that UAC only applies to Vista and Windows 7 and is turned on per default)

XP, Vista and Windows 7 32bit, UAC off:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mithis\Nexus - The Jupiter Incident

XP, Vista and Windows 7 64bit, UAC off:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mithis\Nexus - The Jupiter Incident

Vista and Windows 7 32bit, UAC on:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mithis\Nexus - The Jupiter Incident

Vista and Windows 7 64bit, UAC on:
 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mithis\Nexus - The Jupiter Incident

Change "Display_Height" and "Display_Width" to whatever resolution you're going to use and make sure, you're entering these numbers in decimal mode (not hexadecimal!). For example you'd set "Display_Height" to 1080 (hex: 438) and "Display_Width" to 1920 (hex: 780) to play in FullHD.

Field of View

You might also want to adjust the field of view accordingly. Nexus uses a horizontal angle of 70 degrees, which could result in the graphics looking "strange" in a widescreen resolution... anyway, it's limiting your view unnecessarily, so better change it. You do that by editing the universe\engine\rendering.ini in your Nexus base folder, if you extracted the nexus_00.dat using datool. If not, simply create a text file "rendering.ini" in the "universe\engine\"-folder (you'll need to create this folder, too) and paste the following content into the file:

Code: [Select]
RENDERING
FOV 90 45 46.826
Inscriptions

ShotFormat tif

EmvPath "q:\movies\emv\"
RENDERING

(this is for a 16:9 display - if you're using a 16:10 resolution you might want to change the second line to "FOV 80 45 46.826")

There are some display issues with briefings and ingame titles, but everything else is working just as it always was.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:17:28 by Arparso »

Offline Xankar

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: [GUIDE] Widescreen support
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 18:22:56 »
Question regarding the FOV.

I can't find the "universe\engine\"-folder and can't seem to figure out how to use the datool.
I installed the game via steam
Help on this is appreciated

Offline The Old Dragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 22:46:51 »
Hi Xankar,

You need to unpack the game first to find those files.
At this point, I'm assuming you downloaded the version of DaTool with instructions? Without further info, I can only ask if you've got the directory path right...
Better to look the fool by asking, then prove them right with ignorance.

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 18:33:26 »
Yes, you need to extract the "universe\engine\rendering.ini" file from nexus_00.dat. If you don't get datool to work, you might find DatXtract easier to use.