May 13, 2024, 04:14:55

Author Topic: Ship movement  (Read 6297 times)

Offline nikhilR

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Ship movement
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:12:32 »
Is the player ship movement in Nexus always relative to another ship or a nav point?
Meaning if I say wish to move my ship to a specific location (devoid of any ships or nav points) how do I manage it?
eg. in homeworld you use move and draw out a trajectory on the xy and z axis.

(In certain strategies, such as flanking a enemy fleet, where the enemy fleet approaches your ships and your ships move to their sides in order to flank them)

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
Re: Ship movement
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:23:17 »
You can move your ship(s) whereever you want by holding down the [SHIFT]-key. A movement marker will appear, which you can move on-screen with your mouse. By also holding down the left mouse key you can move it further away from the camera and back again.
Other objects will display markers as well and if their markers start to blink, then your selected movement marker is roughly at the same distance to the camera as the blinking marker.

It's much easier than it sounds... just somewhat difficult to explain. You'll get used to it rather quickly and although it lacks the precision of the Homeworld system, it suffices for most maneuvers you'll ever want to try. ;)

In case you didn't already know, you can also detach the camera from the current ship by double-clicking on empty space instead of another ship. Then you'll use the mouse wheel to move forward and backward and the right mouse button to rotate the view. This way you're not restricted to follow a specific ship, but can choose your own viewing angle.

Offline nikhilR

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:28:40 »
Well suffice to say Arparso I have a lot to learn!
Thanks for your reply.
(Also I've sent you a pm on another matter if you would look into it.)

Offline The_Small_Time_Modder

• Petty Officer
  • Watch out batman! here comes CHUCK NORRIS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:37:41 »
You can also create nav points as an altenative by simply pressing the N button, you can then delete them using the delete key. I think that can be quite handy when dealing with controlling a fleet, especially if you want to pull back smaller ships from a heavy gunfight.
Epic win = when bullets dodge YOU.

Nothing can contend with that. Unless if you can travel through time and space.