April 16, 2024, 09:04:07

Author Topic: Newbie question: device name and the actual name in game too difference...  (Read 13379 times)

Offline maximilianyuen

• Recruit
    • View Profile
For example I was trying to find the burning fist laser, but I can't seems to find the related exact name because the modding tool provided xls is in hungarian....

are there are ways to help recognize or a table already made?

I have done all the study I can before I ask this simple question, please help :(

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
First step: unpack the nexus_00.dat using the datool

Second: Head over to the folder universe/texts/texts/ and open the file "dev_weapons_new.ini" and find the weapon you're looking for (if it's not an Earth weapon, otherwise you'll need to open the file "dev_weapons_os.ini"). There you'll find a name in this format, "weap_*". For example, in your case, searching the Burning fist Heavy laser will lead you to this:

Code: [Select]
TEXT "/weap_heLaser2"
0 "Burningfist Heavy Laser" $$data "07/23/2004 15:05:07" "" 1
1 "Burning Fist Schwerer Laser" $$data "08/18/2004 09:31:52" "" 1
2 "Burningfist nehézlézer" $$data "06/23/2004 13:44:26" "" 1
3 "Laser ld Burningfist" $$data "07/23/2004 15:05:07" "" 1
5 "Laser Pesante Burning Fist" $$data "09/02/2004 16:00:38" "" 1
END

It means that the burning fist heavy laser goes by the name "weap_heLaser2". So now all you have to do is open the file "universe/tactics/tacticstype.ini" and look for "weap_heLaser2". And voilà, you've found it. That's a good way of tracking each device to the tacticstype.ini, where all the information about them is located.
More information about the tacticstype.ini can be found here

Offline The Old Dragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • http://
Hi there Maximilianyuen,

That bugged me at first as well, made configuring ships a pain in the rear trying to pick the right weapons.
The .rar file attached is a copy of the Nexus Tactics.xls with the ingame (or common) names inserted. These names were harvested from the various .ini files found in the 'texts/texts' folder.
Better to look the fool by asking, then prove them right with ignorance.

Offline maximilianyuen

• Recruit
    • View Profile
wow you two are super helpful  ;D

I was switching from homeworld....leaving the familiar code is hurt, but this game seems worth trying!

Offline maximilianyuen

• Recruit
    • View Profile
a quick follow up question:

if I am modding the single player mode, is it the same as homeworld that, I just need to put the modified extracted folder into the game directory and it will be applied automatically?

like, if I finished adding the firing range of the burningfist laser, I just need to put the universe folder in the game directory and it will be applied right?

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Nexus has the game files compressed in the nexus_00.dat, so you're going to have to umcompress it and mod those files directly in Nexus' main directory (remember to keep the compressed nexus_00.dat somewhere else)
but I wouldn't recommend it... you'll be modding directly the campaign files and nexus doesn't support that fully (it can be done, but no error messages. The game will simply crash if there's something it doesn't like)

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to alter the main campaign in any way, like adding new weapon types, ships or even new or revised missions, then yeah... editing the extracted files in the Nexus folder is the only way to do that. Debugging that will be a pain, however, as Nexus will usually just crash without descriptive error messages when encountering any kind of error and you don't have a Debug console available in the game. The provided mission editor is waaaay more helpful in that regard, but you can't play the campaign or the campaign missions inside of it... not without much additional work, at least.

If you want to create your own single missions or a multiplayer mod, then you don't need to overwrite anything - just create a new mod in the "mods"-folder of your Nexus installation and start modding. Create new systems, missions and/or copy over the default tacticstypes.ini and make your changes to that, etc. - that's perfectly possible and that's what the game also officially supports, modding-wise. The game wasn't really built for campaign-level modding... although it IS possible - just not that easy and not covered by the modding docs available.

Offline maximilianyuen

• Recruit
    • View Profile
thanks for the detailed answers, I have manged to try out some of the most basic stuff that are plain obvious like tampering the firing rate

but as for the range, I am reading this:
http://nexusthegame.net/wiki/Modding_weapon_ranges_and_accuracy

so, if i want to double the firing range of the anti devices laser, I have to change that value of those GLOBAL 1~5 cat? it cannot be done per weapon?

phew, so many thing to read from the modding manuel, headache lol

Offline GeoModder

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
That's one way to do it. If you want it per weapon you could try to change the change the categorie from your anti-device laser from 1/2 to 4 or something. The siege laser for instance is a cat 4 weapon, and technically it is a laser weapon.

Offline maximilianyuen

• Recruit
    • View Profile
That's one way to do it. If you want it per weapon you could try to change the change the categorie from your anti-device laser from 1/2 to 4 or something. The siege laser for instance is a cat 4 weapon, and technically it is a laser weapon.

I just don't know where to change the original category....

for example, this weapon...
it got a "category"
but according to http://nexusthegame.net/wiki/Weapons
this is always 1 for weapon, so I bet it's not the range category

and it's not related, but hope someone can explain abit on what's the "Sets 1 30 100 31 111" mean
for the shield the"Sets" determine the attribute, but for weapon I can't find reference in wiki

Code: [Select]
DEVICETYPE 24
Name "weap_heLaser"
Mesh "earth\devices\gun_nehezlezer"
Category 1
Civilization 0
Sets 1 30 100 31 111 ;
Purpose 3 ;
HitChanceCat 9
DeviceHitChance 70
Substance 1
Charge 13
EnergyIn 260
PenetrateShield 700
DamageShield 1
DamageHull 10
DamageDevice 60
Detected 85
Scanned 140
HPmax 1250
RepairHP 16
Start 2 0 80 1
Travel 1 11000 81 1
End 1 0 82 1
Available
InstallRP 2
Info_Category "info_wcat_tact"
Info_Damage 4
Info_RateOfFire 5
Info_Precision 5
DEVICETYPE

and the "category table" i only see one from the official modding tool in exl format
can't seems to find anything thing similar in the extracted dat folder..

I guess there should be one for changing the range right?

Offline GeoModder

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
My error.

It's not in the "category" parameter. Instead, try changing the length in the "Travel" parameter.

For instance, your heavy laser has:
Travel 1 11000 81 1

Try changing the "11000" to "25000" or something.

Offline maximilianyuen

• Recruit
    • View Profile
nice! how about the bullet type weapon when the travel parameter becomes bullet speed only?