May 14, 2024, 17:22:34

Author Topic: Nexus on *nix  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Nexus on *nix
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:39:26 »
Ever since I moved to *nix I've been trying to make nexus work on it (using wine, crossover, playonlinux, etc), but have always fail to do so, even though WineHQ gives Nexus a silver medal and I've read that the game has been played on several *nix dristos.

After installing the game (and directx9) on wine, I always get this error message: "Missing or invalid authentication key"
I've used the same key that I had used withouth problem in mi xp partition, but withouth success here. Browsing the web I've found this site: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/525559-nexus-the-jupiter-incident/49021198 were someone had a similiar problem (only not on linux) and you, Arparso, somehow solved this problem. May I ask how on earth did you do that? (fyi: i did try using that key with Arparsos' suggestion)

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 15:15:59 »
I can vaguely remember, that I tried to install Nexus using the key he provided. The installer didn't accept it, naturally, so I tried looking for the most trivial user-made errors I could think of, like mixing up 1 with I or 0 with O. Changing the last 1 to i did the trick and the installation continued, so that's why I suggested the change to him.

As for your problem: if your own Nexus key doesn't work and the one from that particular thread did neither, then it got to be some other problem related to Linux. It sounds like it fails on game startup... didn't you have to enter it during installation? I'm not really familiar with Wine or the typical game installation process there, so please indulge me.

Well, the key usually gets stored in the Windows registry and I don't see why the game authenticating a legit key should fail specifically under Linux. I'd guess, it simply can't find the key in the registry (which I suppose Wine has to emulate somehow) and thus can't authenticate it, of course.

Which distro do you use?

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 20:36:01 »
I'm using (with a bit of shame, actually) ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx. Yes, that's probably it. The key worked fine during the installation and all, but the problem arose when I wanted to start the game. So I should now start to work with wine's registry... *sight*

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 21:38:13 »
Ok, sorted that out. Editing wine's registry did the trick. However, I'm now getting a crash whenever I run the game ("game.cpp") :S I'm never going to be able to play it on linux.....