Nexus Modding > Game Assets

Updating planet meshes

(1/7) > >>

jstubbles:
Has anyone had success doing this?

There's no documentation for getting a new planet MESH into the game - but I've been able to load them into the solar system editor. However, as soon as I press the button to change the texture, it loads the old model again. I should also note that my own planet mesh doesn't appear to have an atmosphere when it loads up - it shows the atmosphere as a tiny sphere inside of my planet mesh. I tried adjusting the mesh size in Lightwave until it was relatively close match, but it still doesn't change the fact that when I load the next texture, the model changes back to the original low poly version.

jstubbles:
Or if anyone has Milkeshape - if they could open a planet MSH and see what's going on in there (I don't have the cash to pick it up at the moment).

Somethings kind of trip me up though. In the solar system files, there's a line to enter what mesh you want to use for the planet. A lot of them don't exist though, not even in the base game (after using DaTool). For instance, "Mesh "planetsplanet_002_a"" - that's nowhere in the base game folders. There IS however, a texture named that. It's kind of trippy what's going on and I don't fully understand it.

I just want everything to use 1 new planet mesh and just swap out the textures on it. I thought that's what was happening before - but I think maybe there's a new model for every planet? Not sure.

GeoModder:

--- Quote ---Somethings kind of trip me up though. In the solar system files, there's a line to enter what mesh you want to use for the planet. A lot of them don't exist though, not even in the base game (after using DaTool). For instance, "Mesh "planetsplanet_002_a"" - that's nowhere in the base game folders. There IS however, a texture named that. It's kind of trippy what's going on and I don't fully understand it.

I just want everything to use 1 new planet mesh and just swap out the textures on it. I thought that's what was happening before - but I think maybe there's a new model for every planet? Not sure.
--- End quote ---

I suppose the graphics engine is so rigged that a planet/moon object is generated ingame as a sphere with the linked texture (from texturesplanets) painted over it if no proper mesh with that name is found in the meshesplanets folder. The names of textures (in texturesplanets) seem to fit with the planet meshes (in meshesplanets), so perhaps giving your texture the name of an existing one could solve your 'reverting' texture problem?

Btw, did you try to put new asteroids ingame, or a new proper spherical planet like Earth or so?

jstubbles:
I'll try naming the texture and mesh to something thats already there, see how that works.

And yeah, it's a new planet mesh, not an asteroid. I've seen people put asteroids in game already.

GeoModder:
I've nowhere in the Nexus folder structure found a dedicated mesh for planets, so I'm unsure if it is even necessary. Perhaps simply placing the texture reference in the solar system file is enough?
And you're telling me there are new asteroid meshes available for Nexus somewhere? Could you link me to a download for them please?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version