March 28, 2024, 10:22:52

Author Topic: Working with NIF Models (UPDATE)  (Read 6534 times)

Offline USSCrazybat

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Working with NIF Models (UPDATE)
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:17:59 »
Hello,

I'm looking to create a more up-to-date Star Trek mod than the two currently in circulation, and I intend to use several ships that have been modded into Bridge Commander as .nif meshes. As I don't know where else to find these meshes, I'll need to make do with a lengthy conversion process. However, the recommended conversion process of importing into Milkshape, exporting into .lwo, then putting it through the game's converter returns an error. It doesn't help that I have very little experience working with meshes in general - scripting is no issue for me, at least.

If anyone has experience with .NIF files and Nexus, I'd appreciate any help you could offer.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:00:59 by USSCrazybat »

Offline USSCrazybat

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Working with NIF files (Bridge Commander exporting)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:00:36 »
So, I've managed to successfully convert a high-poly Bridge Commander ship into Nexus! I'm pretty pleased with myself right now. There's only two problems. One - the ship is back to front. Two, the ship is tiny. An easy fix - but is there any set value I should be scaling my ships to?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:11:34 by USSCrazybat »

Offline The Old Dragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: Working with NIF Models (UPDATE)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 17:21:03 »
Well done on the conversion; with regards to scale, you can either bring an existing Nexus ship into your modeller and scale to that or if you're looking at a standalone mod then the scale is up to you. Only thig to remember is that Nexus recognises 2 ship sizes - strike and capitol. Not sure on the exact threshold but obviously, you don't want to make your big ships to small ;)
Better to look the fool by asking, then prove them right with ignorance.