March 29, 2024, 13:40:01

Author Topic: Secondary weapons generator  (Read 7318 times)

Offline DogNine

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Secondary weapons generator
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:24:49 »
Perhaps more of a modding section question but, does anyone know how the secondary weapon generator device works? The primary weapon generator has a energy output setting but the secondary's don't. Do they even do anything? The other reason I ask is that I remember not being able to make one generator that powers all devices.

Ages ago was modding this game and ran into so many road block to the things i wanted to do that I gave up.

Time has passed and I'm thinking of getting started again (given the lack of sequel  :( ) and thought I see if the community is alive and if anyone has any ideas about generators.

The reason its important is that coming up with the layout for my ships is dependant on what components are in them, its just the way i work, and figuring out how many generators is part of that.

Offline The Old Dragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: Secondary weapons generator
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:12:37 »
Hi there DogNine,

Always nice to see a new face here, hope you do pick up modding again. Onto your queries though...

1)   Secondary weapon generators are supposed to take over when your main one gets nobbled in order for you to continue fighting ( a favourite tactic of mine is to target the weapons and shield generators in order to take a ship out of the fight and allow me to move onto the next fairly quickly. Then come back and destroy them at my leisure :) ).

2)   As to whether or not they work, they only way to know for sure would be to create a quick mission where your ship only has a secondary generator on board - not a main one and see if you can fight. A quick search of the tacticstypes.ini seems to suggest that these are player devices only, none of the predefined shiptypes seem to have one.

3)   They do have a power output like the main ones. The entry reads like "1 30" for one of them. The first number represents where they send the power (1 being weapons and 4 being the energy reserve cells) and the second number represents how much energy per tick it delivers (in this case approx 300 energy units per second (a tick is about a tenth of a second I think)).

Hope that helps, keep us updated though.

Regards,

The Old Dragon
Better to look the fool by asking, then prove them right with ignorance.

Offline DogNine

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary weapons generator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:23:10 »
Thanks for the reply  :)

Getting time for testing is the hard part these days! But the more I think about it the more I want to fire it up again.

The energyoutput parameter seems to only work for one entry, by that I mean if you put a second entry with another output type and amount it will ignore it. I tried to do it ages ago to setup one reactor that powered the whole ship. From a gameplay point of view its probably not ideal anyway.

The thing I think i should test is if the secondary adds to the primary or not. ( I suspect it won't)