March 28, 2024, 11:12:36

Author Topic: DX9 Error  (Read 35457 times)

Offline The Old Dragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • http://
DX9 Error
« on: August 27, 2012, 17:05:48 »
Hi All,

Whenever I try to 'Save and Start' a mod mission that I'm working on, I get the following DX9 error message...

Code: [Select]
File:  cExpression.CPP
Line: 708
Expression: False

It only effects this one mod as far as I can tell, everything else runs and has only been around a couple of days. I've tried undoing the recent changes that I can remember but it still persists. Anyone else run into this critter before or have an idea as to the cause? 

My only other recourse at the mo would be to start again and introduce the work already done a bit at a time (a bit time consuming and annoying to say the least)...

Thanks.
Better to look the fool by asking, then prove them right with ignorance.

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: DX9 Error
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:59:53 »
I remember having such an error, however the circunstances and how I fixed it are long gone... It's a runtime error, at least, or otherwise the mod's compiler would have picked up on it. See which rules are being run at the very start of the mission, the bug is most likely there.

Offline The Old Dragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 20:30:18 »
Got it  ;D

Thanks Mularac; you were right, the error was lurking in the first machine. I found an errant '*/' lurking at the end of a line.

At least I can carry on now, thanks.
Better to look the fool by asking, then prove them right with ignorance.

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 23:36:00 »
Those things are a pain, I know... Cursed be nexus and his lazy compiler... When it bothers to compile at all. My experience with campaign coding have lead me the disgusting reality that there's no such thing at campaign level, the game just interpreting the script as it goes and crashimg when it encounters any error

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:20:51 »
Those things are a pain, I know... Cursed be nexus and his lazy compiler... When it bothers to compile at all. My experience with campaign coding have lead me the disgusting reality that there's no such thing at campaign level, the game just interpreting the script as it goes and crashimg when it encounters any error
That's not really unusal, I think. Plenty of games do it like that. Only alternative would be to read and compile all scripts at game startup and even then you'd only catch syntactical errors. That leaves plenty of stuff to go wrong at runtime ;)

Offline Mularac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 04:31:25 »
Yes, but that's the whole point of having a compiler, so that when you encounter an error you can safely assume it's not a typo or something of the sort, making the debugging process more straightforward.

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 04:23:13 »
Yeah, but it's still not unusual for script files to only be compiled or interpreted when the actual script is to be run. ;)

But agreed, that Nexus doesn't detect some scripting errors properly and just crashes with some mysterious error messages instead.

Offline moniken

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 18:05:11 »
random dx errors, not really nice, hope you solve the issue somehow