March 29, 2024, 08:07:54

Author Topic: UAW mod Missions crashing with skirmisher?  (Read 8700 times)

Offline StalkerZERO

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • http://
UAW mod Missions crashing with skirmisher?
« on: August 21, 2010, 23:35:22 »
Hi all.  

I'm a new nexus the jupiter incident player from steam and I must say that I love the game.
So I'm trying to use the skirmisher mission creator and I'm running into crashes when I start a UAW mission.  I create the mission under the "UAW" mod selector and I'm careful to watch the mission number I'm assigning the file.  
So I create a mission and I start it.

Seconds later I get a crash.  Not all the missions I create mind you but a lot so far.  Is it some isssue with the UAW mod itself not working with the skirmisher?  I'm using the latest skirmisher 0.61.
What am I doing wrong?

Also, a side issue.  How do I choose the ship so that i'm able to control it?  So far it's been computer controlled battles only....the missions that work anyways.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

P.S.  Gonna experiment creating missions with different mods.

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 19:33:24 »
Haven't really played UAW for ages, so I'm not sure about your issue right now. I'll download the mod again and try for myself.

A crash during gameplay is most likely related to some faulty mission or command script, as Nexus itself is pretty stable. If you want, you can try running the mission from within the mission editor... it'll display an error message when the game is about to crash, which would be helpful to get to the actual error. The mission editor should be located in your Nexus directory (steamsteamappscommonnexus ?) in the "mod_tools" subfolder. Just launch mod_tools.exe and run your Skirmisher-created mission. If it crashes, you can post the error message here.

As for making ships playable: if you choose race_player as the race for one of the two fleets (and don't use the cinematic mission type), you should be in control of those ships. If that's not the case or race_player isn't even present in the drop-down-list, then something has gone wrong.

You can also try out the "Star Trek - Enhanced Space Combat" mod, which worked just fine with the Skirmisher the last time I checked. UAW isn't really in active development anymore, as far as I know. You can find a bunch of cool mods here at moddb.

Offline StalkerZERO

• Recruit
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:52:45 »
Thanks man.

I pretty much figured out that I had to match the mod selection to the correct mission type.  And so far I'm enjoying the game immensely.
I just wish you were able to manually able to lay in a course in 3d space.  It's either that or navigating to a fixed point like a space station then working off of that.  Why oh why isn't there a nexus 2?
:(

Offline Arparso

• Administrator
  • Lieutenant
  • I can see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://arparso.de/nexus
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 13:14:12 »
You can move the ships manually by selecting your ship(s) and holding the SHIFT-key. You'll get a move cursor, which you can move around by dragging the mouse and move back or forward ("into the screen") by left-clicking and dragging the mouse back or forward. Other visible objects will get their own cursor, too, and start blinking when your move cursor is at the same distance as them ... allowing you to better judge the distance of your move order. When you release the SHIFT-key, the selected ship(s) will move to their destination.

Using the same control scheme, but by holding the N-key instead of SHIFT, you can also place your own navpoints in space. This makes it easier to set up staging areas or rendezvous points for your fleet, because your ships can use the standard move commands in combination with these navpoints.

Seems cumbersome at first, but is pretty easy to use. You still can't assign a complex move order, though, where your ships follow a path of multiple waypoints.

Have fun, though. Besides the awkward controls, Nexus is still a great game for sci-fi-fans ;)

Offline StalkerZERO

• Recruit
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:49:01 »
Awesoome!

I'll try it out ASAP.  

One other thing.  I set up a warbeginsskirmisher_cinema mission type using the skirmisher tool so i can sit back and enjoy an epic battle scene.

I had like 8 battleships...or was it 5 battleships and 3 carriers against a similar gorg fleet go at it.  None of my carriers decided to launch their fighters at any of their targets.  :(    
So the only way to see fighters launch is to make it a single player mission where i'm going to HAVE to play?

I thought the AI would have been bright enough to launch fighters by itself.  Oh well.  Playing the version of the mission where you actually play though is fun because of the awesome firepower of the battleships....especially when you use the take two mod.  :)